Visit the NLCHP Portal to access online services for applicants and registrants.
Change of Status
NLCHP has a number of registration categories depending on your profession. Registrants are encouraged to review their health professions Regulations to review which categories are applicable to their profession. Please click here to find a list of the Health Professional Colleges and Regulations.
The most common registration categories are:
General status: registrant meets all requirements for a full practicing registration.
Non-practicing: registrant has an active registration but is currently not eligible to practice in the province.
General status (temporary): temporary registration category for new graduates who are waiting to write or waiting for results of their national exam.
Inactive: registrant no longer has an active registration with the NLCHP and is not eligible to practice in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Registrants who wish to change their active registration category during the registration year (between April 1 and March 31 annually) must complete a Change in Status Request form. Please contact the NLCHP for more information.
Registrants who wish to change their active registration category during the registration year from:
- General status to non-practicing status or non-practicing status to general status must complete a Change in Status Request form. Registrants who change from non-practicing to general status during the registration year will have their non-practicing fees applied to their general status registration fee.
- General status (temporary) to general status must complete a Change in Status Request form and provide proof of successful completion of the national exam.
- General status to General Status- (Additional Skills) must complete a Change in Status Request form and provide proof of completion of an accepted course for additional skills.
- Registrants who do not wish to renew their registration must notify NLCHP to change their registration status from an active registration renewal category to inactive status and must also complete a Change of Status Form.
Inactive registrants who renew their registration within three months of changing their registration status and who meet the requirements for registration, will be registered using the registration renewal process.
After three months of inactive status, registrants will be required to meet initial registration requirements to change to an active registration category including providing a new criminal record and vulnerable sector check and paying a lapsed membership fee.
- Registrants who fail to apply to the NLCHP of a change in status and do not renew their registration before the deadline will be required to re-apply for registration. These individuals will be required to meet initial registration requirements including providing a new criminal record and vulnerable sector check and paying a lapsed membership fee of $60.
- Registrants are responsible to ensure their registration is valid before reporting to work (including orientation). Registrants will received an email from the NLCHP once their status has been updated. Registrants and employers can also check the List of Registered Health Professionals to confirm registration status.
- Individuals who practice without a valid practicing license will be subject to an Unauthorized Practice Fee ($100/per day worked with no maximum) and where the period of practice exceeds 3 shifts from and including the 1st shift will be subject to discipline in accordance with Part V of the Health Professions Act 2010.
More information is available in the NLCHP Change of Status During Registration Year Policy and Practicing a Health Profession Without A Valid Registration Policy.